Who loves Pecan Pie? ME! x 100 times!! I was walking past a local bakery this morning and the rich and nutty smell of pecan pie made me challenge myself with trying to create a Raw Gluten Free, Dairy Free version. Of Course! There is always a better way to enjoy my favourites.
In my experience, Traditional Pecan Pies are generally quite pricey and intensely addictive, rich and can be heavy. I love the smell and the texture of pecan pie and can’t think of many other better treats that are perfect with a cup of tea! Not only does pecan taste amazing, they are goodies that you don’t want to miss out on.
A Summary of Pecans Health Benefits:
Pecans are Great for:
- Reducing blood pressure
- Reducing stroke risk
- Promoting bone health
- Promoting teeth health
- Preventing muscle soreness following exercise
- Helping the body get rid of waste in the kidneys
- Reducing inflammation
- Helping cells and tissues to grow and repair
- Boosting heart health, reducing heart disease risk
- Promoting digestive health
- Building muscle, aiding in muscle recovery
- Preventing breast cancer
- Reducing cancer risk
- Helping treat Iron-deficiency anaemia
- Weight Loss
- Promoting healthy vision
Oh Wow! The result was outstanding! I talked to myself about how amazing it was for about 20 mins during and after tasting the pecan pie. The monologue was like this, “oh wow! this is so yummy! I wish I made more. Maybe I should bring them to the dinner party. Oh but they are too good, not sure I can resist the temptation before the dinner. Why didn’t I try this earlier?….” Yep I know I am weird.
In terms of the taste, The biggest difference in the raw recipe with the traditional one is the texture of the crust. The raw version is softer and more crumbly.
Hope you enjoy the recipe!
- 1 Cup Walnuts
- 1/2 Cup Pumpkin Seeds (or more Walnut)
- 1/2 Cup Pecan
- 5 Dates
- 2-3 Drops Organic Vanilla Extract
- Pinch Sea Salt
- 1 -1/2 Cup Pecan (Soaked at least 4 hours)
- 1/2 Cup Cashew (Soaked) or more Pecan
- 10 Medjool Dates (Soaked until tender)
- 4 Drops Organic Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Nut Milk or Water
- Handful of Pecans
- Dump all the ingredient in a blender, repeat the pulse and stop until it gets sticky and combines well (no need to be super smooth)
- Pour the crust mix into loose base mini tart tins(make 6 to 8 mini tarts) and press down with your finger tips until nice and firm
- Place the tins in the freezer to harden up while you are making the filling
- Throw all the ingredient into a clean blender and blend until smooth and creamy consistency
- If the mix is too dry, add more nut milk or water
- If you like the filling to be a little sweeter add some raw honey or maple syrup
- Take out the crust from the freezer and take them out of the tins (you don't have to) and add the filling on top of the crusts evenly
- Garnish with Pecan
I highly recommend that you freeze the crust a bit longer if you find it hard to take out from the tins. They can be quite crumbly but when you freeze them they are easier to separate!
If you enjoyed this you will also like my “White Chocolate Non Dairy Cheese Cake” Check it out!
Please leave comments below and let me know if you have any questions,
With Love and Gratitude,